Monday, July 1, 2013

Vietnam Trip

I am going to Vietnam this summer to learn about how Vietnamese portray, remember and teach about "The American War" - what we Americans know as "The Vietnam War."  Just this nominal difference, to me, speaks volumes about how the war is viewed so differently from both sides.  I am interested in gathering more evidence through interviews and discussions with Americans, and then comparing my findings with how this Vietnam War is depicted and remembered by the Vietnamese.  I will use this information to construct a cross-curriculuar Literature and US History Unit for NYC 11th graders who will study the Vietnam War and read The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien to get a richer perspective on this indelible mark on our countries' and the world's past. I will post my findings and learning here.  Thanks for visiting.

No comments: